From: Hani Duwaik <kiawud@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Troubleshooting my parents' connection
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 21:04:26
1 On 11/22/06, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello, I'm at my parents' home for Thanksgiving and connected
4 > wirelessly to the family Netgear router via WPA. Page requests
5 > sometimes fail in Firefox immediately, without spending any time
6 > trying to load the page. I suspect a problem connecting to the ISP's
7 > DNS server. How would you troubleshoot this?
8 >
9 > - Grant
10 > --
11 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
14 Some basic things to look at:
15
16 1) Can you successfully ping the ISPs DNS?
17 2) What's in your system's '/etc/resolv.conf'? (Some DSL/Cable modem
18 routers set themselves up as the DNS server/proxy. It's probably to help
19 speed things up, but I've noticed that my system really doesn't like it and
20 needs to have the ISPs DNS servers listed instead).
21 3) Is the system/Firefox set up to use IPv6? (There's a setting in Firefox
22 that allows you to prevent it from trying IPv6 lookups:
23 http://en.opensuse.org/Disable_IPv6_for_Firefox - yes, it's a SUSE site,
24 but the directions should work for all systems)
25
26 HTH,
27
28 -Hani
32 "If, of the many truths, you select only one and follow it blindly, it will
33 become a falsehood, and you a fanatic."