From: Kai Peter <kp@×××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Pick your hypothesis:
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 13:03:50
1 On 2019-01-24 21:59, Michael Jones wrote:
2 >
3 >> You really can't run Gentoo safely for very long without paying
4 > close attention to what you are doing - with both installs and
5 > upgrades.
6 >
7 > I don't know that this is true. I've had the same set of use flags
8 > configured on all of my Gentoo computers for 5-ish years now, and I've
9 > only very rarely messed with them. For the most part, running
10 > "eix-sync && emerge --update --newuse --deep @world" once a week has
11 > allowed me to have unattended upgrades for many months at a time, only
12 > needing to adjust one or two things every several months. Needing to
13 > tweak something is my exception, not my rule.
14 +1. That's a core point to me. An update once a week and adjusting USE
15 flags (down) to the _real_ requirements makes multiple Gentoo
16 installations long term stable.
17 >
18 > Happy compiling :-)
21 Sent with eQmail-1.11 beta - a fork of djb's famous qmail