From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Need a new server
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 07:37:46
1 On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>> Is the Gentoo Software RAID + LVM guide the best place for RAID
3 >>> install info if I'm not using LVM and I'll have a hardware RAID
4 >>> controller?
5 >>
6 >> Not ready to take the ZFS plunge? That would greatly reduce the complexity
7 >> of RAID+LVM, since ZFS best practice is to set your hardware raid controller
8 >> to JBOD mode and let ZFS take care of the RAID - and no LVM required (ZFS
9 >> has mucho better tools). That is my next big project for when I switch to my
10 >> next new server.
11 >>
12 >> I'm just hoping I can get comfortable with a process for getting ZFS
13 >> compiled into the kernel that is workable/tenable for ongoing kernel updates
14 >> (with minimal fear of breaking things due to a complex/fragile
15 >> methodology)...
16 >
17 > Can't you just emerge zfs-kmod? Or maybe you're trying to do it
18 > without module support?
21 @tanstaafl's kernels have no module support.
22
23 Rgds,