From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] advice on security and keyloggers
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 09:21:41
1 Jerry Turba wrote:
2
3 > I've heard a lot lately about software keyloggers that can be
4 > installed on a computer while surfing the net, and how big a security
5 > problem they have become. What is the Linux/Gentoo approach to block
6 > keyloggers? I do not run any antivirus or anti spyware programs (I
7 > don't even network with Windows) only Shorewall.
8 > Are keyloggers a form of a virus and do not present a great danger to
9 > Linux? Should I be safe if I keep up on updates and the glsa?
10 >
11 > Thanks for any info.
12
13 I would assume that you would have to install the keylogger on Linux, if
14 you wanted it. Linux is not like windoze. It is a bit hard to install
15 something and you not know it. I get emails with viruses all the time
16 and I click on them, I have never got any infection though. Basically,
17 if you type in emerge <keylogger> then it will get installed. If you do
18 not do that, I wouldn't be worried about it. Linux, even in a basic
19 setup is just not going to run a windoze program or install a windoze
20 virus. I seem to recall reading somewhere that 99.99% of viruses are
21 for windoze. The only one you have to really worry about on Linux is a
22 rootkit, unless you have a very very old setup.
23
24 If you have wine or some other windoze emulator thingy, then you may can
25 get it then but from what I have read it is confined to the wine part
26 and does not affect Linux itself.
27
28 All that is based on what I have read. I don't have windoze here, I
29 don't run Wine either. I wouldn't buy a computer that has windoze on
30 it. If someone gives me wone that does have windoze on it, I format the
31 drive and install Linux.
32
33 Dale
34
35 :-)
38 To err is human, I'm most certainly human.
39
40 I have four rigs:
41
42 1: Home built; Abit NF7 ver 2.0 w/ AMD 2500+ CPU, 1GB of ram and right now two 80GB hard drives.
43 2: Home built; Iwill KK266-R w/ AMD 1GHz CPU, 256MBs of ram and a 4GB drive.
44 3: Home built; Gigabyte GA-71XE4 w/ 800MHz CPU, 128MBs of ram and a 2.5GB drive.
45 4: Compaq Proliant 6000 Server w/ Quad 200MHz CPUs, 128MBs of ram and a 4.3GB SCSI drive.
46
47 All run Gentoo, all run folding. #1 is my desktop, 2, 3, and 4 are set up as servers.
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list