From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions for NAS appliance?
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2021 04:06:41
1 On Wed, Nov 10, 2021, 7:49 PM Alan Grimes <alonzotg@×××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > Hey, my old NAS box croaked the other day. I had to spend $400 ond
4 > hardware and software to recover my data but the issue now is finding a
5 > good new NAS solution.
6 >
7 > Use is basically media server + backup provider.
8 >
9 > I was happy with my old Netgear ReadyNAS idiot-proof box until it died.
10 > Any experience with products on the market?
13 Not a recommendation precisely but there's a guy on YouTube named Jeff
14 Geerling that's doing a lot of that sort of thing using a Raspberry Pi and
15 multiple SATA drives. I've just built my first RP4 box aimed at
16 astrophotography and I'm pretty impressed with how well the Pi works. My
17 next project will likely be some sort of NAS box using a second Pi4 with an
18 M.2 system drive.
19
20 There is a bootable Gentoo image for the Pi4. It was pretty zippy but it's
21 a year and a half old so if you're fixated on Gentoo you'd have a lot of
22 work to do vs using Ubuntu server or something prebuilt.
23
24 HTH,
25 Mark