From: Joerg.Schilling@fokus.fraunhofer.de (Joerg Schilling)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] filesystems
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:29:08
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > > Oh, and according to this benchmark
4 > > http://linuxgazette.net/122/piszcz.html
5 > > reiserfs does not deserve its speed fame.
6 >
7 > they tested crap.
8 >
9 > As I wrote in the other mail. XFS and reiserfs turn on barriers by default,
10 > ext3 turns them off.
11 > With barriers on for ext3 it looses 30%(!). reiserfs and xfs don't suffer as
12 > much, but suffer they do. So if the test did not turn on or off barriers for
13 > all fs who support them, ext3 had an unfair advantage.
14 >
15 > And you want barriers.
16
17 I am not sure what you call "barriers"....
18
19 ext3 slows down by 400% if you call fsync(2) after copying single files.
20
21 UFS on Solaris slows down by 10% only because UFS has been optimized for best
22 speed _and_ best data integrity.
23
24 Jörg
27 EMail:joerg@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin