From: karl@××××××××.se
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Picking out a printer. Questions.
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2019 11:25:29
1 Mick:
2 > On Friday, 26 April 2019 18:00:13 BST Dale wrote:
3 ...
4 > > Picking last reply. I got the printer, removed all the shipping stuff,
5 > > did the normal setup and got a test page printed from CUPS, in color.
6 > > I'm taking this from the CUPS printer page that shows the connection.
7 > > It printed from Kwrite and shows as ready for other programs as well. I
8 > > would like someone to confirm that this is the best way to have this set
9 > > up. I googled and can't find a howto for this. Most everything I found
10 > > referenced .rpm and .deb stuff.
11 >
12 > Printers are plug 'n play these days. There is no manual configuration
13 > needed,
14 ...
15
16 I'd say that a postscript printer with ethernet and a lpr port would
17 amount to "plug 'n play" in the old days.
18
19 ...
20 > > The only way I could find to print is using the ipp thingy, at least it
21 > > was the first way I could print successfully. Still, is this the proper
22 > > way?
23 >
24 > The printer manual should state what protocols it able to communicate over.
25 > Failing this, try to login using its web GUI (usually on port 80) with a
26 > browser. There will be some network configuration page where information may
27 > be provided on what protocols/ports are available.
28 ...
29
30 The easiest way to know what to expect from the printers network
31 connectivity is to look at the spec. page:
32 https://www.lexmark.com/en_us/printer/12473/Lexmark-C2325dw#specs
33
34 It looks like many (most?) lasers today can use postscript,
35 lpr and port 9100. So the most basic form of printing would be
36 nc host 9100 < postscript_file
37
38 Regards,
39 /Karl Hammar