From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Udev update and persistent net rules changes
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 06:26:12
1 On Apr 1, 2013 2:10 AM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 31/03/2013 20:26, Dale wrote:
4 > > Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg) wrote:
5 > >> On 2013-03-31, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > >>> Pandu Poluan wrote:
7 > >>>>
8 > >>>>
9 > >>>> Since it's obvious that upsteam has this "my way or the highway"
10 > >>>> mentality, I'm curious about whether eudev (and mdev) exhibits the
11 > >>>> same behavior...
12 > >>>>
13 > >>> I synced yesterday and I didn't see the news alert. Last eudev
14 update
15 > >>> was in Feb. so I *guess* not. It seems to be a "udev" thing. That is
16 > >>> why I mentioned eudev to someone else that was having this issue with
17 a
18 > >>> server setup.
19 > >> I'd guess eudev will eventually do the same, although I hope that, it
20 > >> being a separate codebase, makes it easier to adopt some solution like
21 > >> the old rule generator, instead of using udev's approach.
22 > >>
23 > >> The udev upstream may have its issues, but there's actually a point in
24 > >> removing this, the approach there was so far was just a dirty hack.
25 > >>
28 > > Thing is, it works for me. The old udev worked,
29 >
30 > It's more accurate to say it worked by accident rather than by design.
31 > (Sort of like how the power utility gets power to your house - if yours
32 > is anything like mine I get power despite their best efforts to not give
33 > me any ...)
34 >
35 > Anyway, the old method sucked and it sort of works for you and I because
36 > we don't add anything ourselves that trip it up. But this new method...
37 > geez lads, I just dunno.
38 >
39 > How do Windows, Mac and Android deal with this stuff? They don't seem to
40 > have any device naming problems, so what is the magic solution in use on
41 > those platforms?
44 I'm not sure about Macs and Android, but with Windows it all happens based
45 on MAC address.
46
47 I found about it quite accidentally; I had exported a VM from XenServer and
48 imported it to a different host. By default, XenServer assigns a new,
49 random MAC for imported VMs. Windows saw this and proceeded to initialize a
50 new NIC. When I tried setting the IP settings, it complained that the
51 settings are currently being used by an invisible NIC. So, I shut down the
52 VM, restored the old MAC, and the prior settings reappeared.
53
54 Rgds,
55 --