From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flag 'split-usr' is now global
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2019 13:24:53
1 On Wednesday, 7 August 2019 12:48:08 BST Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 07 Aug 2019 11:58:52 +0100, Mick wrote:
3 > > > Actually, it combines them all into one. The second link is to bin,
4 > > > not /bin. It's a relative link from /usr/sbin so this would put
5 > > > everything in /usr/bin.
6 > >
7 > > Yep! It sounds like an amazing idea! I vote we rename it $WINDOWS/
8 >
9 > As opposed to splitting binaries across four directories based on
10 > arbitrary decisions made in the last century? :P
11
12 LOL! You're missing the most important part: across different fs and
13 partition layouts.
14
15 Look, the pyramids were built before the last century, but that doesn't mean
16 we should try to balance them upside down if they work fine as they are.
17 Clearly different use cases have different requirements and correspondingly
18 different optimal solutions. Can I please keep my bin/sbin directories
19 separate and ditto for /usr and its subbies? :-)
22 Regards,
23
24 Mick