From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The war continues.
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 16:01:10
1 160317 Alan Grimes wrote:
2 > My effort to update my syestem continues unabated.
3 > One problem is that every time revdep-rebuild is run,
4 > it always rebuilds all of libreoffice, an 8-hour build.
5
6 When I upgraded to LO 5.1.0.3 , it took 1 h 4 m :
7 do you have a very old machine ?
8
9 > I tried to fix it by setting wayland, gles2 and egl to default
10 > because they were breaking other packages.
11
12 Why are you using Wayland ? -- it's still largely experimental, isn't it ?
13
14 > I don't even know how to read the current error message
15
16 That's a common experience for most of us (smile) !
17 First advice : most of the "errors" are really advisories.
18
19 > Current state of mind:
20 > put a live hand grenade in to the computer and walk away.
21
22 Better to put it all aside till tomorrow.
23
24 > I've been using Gentoo every day now for ten years.
25 > This is an entirely new level of bullshit.
26
27 I've been using it since 2003 & have never had a problem this size.
28 However in all that time, I've never done 'emerge world' without '-p' ;
29 I update pkgs individually, typically with '-1'.
30
31 Try 'emerge -Dvp world' & send the output to a file,
32 then work thro' the list a few pkgs at a time ;
33 if you run into a block, skip that pkg & see how far you can get ; repeat.
34 The result wb to isolate what's going wrong,
35 when you can test solutions, which are usually 1 level deep.
36
37 HTH
41 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
42 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
43 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca