From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage 2.1 uses LINGUAS, why?
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 17:14:40
1 On 5/31/06, Petr Kocmid <Petr.Kocmid@××××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Anyway, I do not see a localisation of a fundamental system tool to be a good
3 > idea. That's my point. Localisations are never up to date. Some day, it will
4
5 II think it's a great idea. Of course, the web speaks english and most
6 systems/programs use that language, but localization turns the
7 experience of using a software much more confortable. If you spend
8 most of your day processing a language that's not your native one, its
9 a relief to give your brain a break by reading something on your own
10 language. And localization on community projects like Gentoo always
11 worked like a charm to me.
12
13 > break something and I would prefer future portage will NOT accept LINGUAS.
14 > Never.
15
16 I don't see how changing text into a program would break its main
17 function. Maybe a liltte "mix" of languages, but that's not a real
18 bug. You may step into some charset problems, but as long as the core
19 of the system keeps a language as default and only the interface
20 changes, that's not a problem.
21
22 And, of course, it may gather more users, to enhance the community,
23 make better translations and update the localization. And, let's not
24 forget, Gentoo is about choices... You may simply use the default
25 language.