From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Clusters on Gentoo ?
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 14:50:30
1 On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 10:31 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 >
3 > I wouldn't use Hadoop for storage of files. It's only useful if you have a lot
4 > (and I do mean a LOT) of data where a query only returns a very small amount.
5
6 Not to mention a lot of data in a small number of files. I think the
7 minimum allocation size for Hadoop is measured in megabytes. I tried
8 using it to process gentoo-x86 and the number of files just clobbered
9 the thing. Since in my job the files were really just static data and
10 not the actual subject of the map/reduce I instead just replicated the
11 data to all the nodes and had them retrieve the data from the local
12 filesystem.
13
14 Hadoop is a very specialized tool. It does what it does very well,
15 but if you want to use it for something other than map/reduce then
16 consider carefully whether it is the right tool for the job.
19 Rich