From: cal <cal@×××××××××.technology>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, coalml@××××.io
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Package management, depclean and new installs
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 04:12:49
1 On 10/3/21 8:30 PM, coalml@××××.io wrote:
2 > Hi y'all new confused user regarding package management
3 >
4 > How do you guys manage and protect your packages?
5 > Do you just put everything on world and end up with a huge world file?
6 > Do you have basic system files on world and the rest you protect or omit?
7 > Do you create new(personalised) files depending on category and somehow link them in any of the above 3?
8 > It's just emerging everything you are not sure you will keep with -1 seems cumbersome to me especially if at some point I want to transfer to a new device and want to copy my settings over ,select what to keep and discard the rest,depcleaning with pretend all the time seems annoying on the long term as well so there should be lots of different solutions from different people(at least thats what I think)
9 >
10 > I just think this is one of the things its better I learn now rather than later and forum or wiki info is too "on-point" on a specific situation so I thought I'd ask the userbase
11 >
12 I rarely use -1; pretty much exclusively for the case where I just need
13 to run something once right now and will not need it again. Otherwise,
14 I just install it normally, which will add it to my world file, and it
15 will be preserved during depcleans. If I later decide I no longer need
16 this package, I can always remove it later.
17
18 My world file has 161 packages; I'm not sure what you consider "huge",
19 but glancing through the list I don't see a lot of bloat -- I know what
20 pretty much each of them does/provides to my system.
21
22 As far as "system" packages, I just rely on my profile's @system to keep
23 those. Things in @world are applications/resources that I installed for
24 my particular usage.
25
26 I'm not sure from your question exactly why you're using -1 frequently
27 enough to find it cumbersome; if you clarified what you're doing it
28 might be easier to clarify whether that is "normal" usage or there is a
29 better way of doing things.
30
31 cal