From: John covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem using gnomeas non-root user
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 11:30:37
1 on Wednesday 03/14/2007 Neil Bothwick(neil@××××××××××.uk) wrote
2 > On Wed, 14 Mar 2007 01:09:23 -0400, John covici wrote:
3 >
4 > > Hi. If I try to log in using gdm as a non-root user, it logs me in,
5 > > but does not even run gnome-session. If I run that by hand, it runs
6 > > some things, but if I want to change some settings I am informed that
7 > > the gnome-settings-daemon cannot start a new dbus session. Both dbus
8 > > and hald are started and working if I log in as root.
9 >
10 > Check the permissions of the various GNOME files and directories in the
11 > user's home directory. I've seen something like this when the user was
12 > unable to write to the necessary files.
13
14 I checked the .gconf and .gnome2 and even the .gnome2_private, but it
15 looks OK to me. I even put a session file in the users .gnome2
16 directory changing the current directory to his home directory, but it
17 will not run. Very strange.
20 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
21 How do
22 you spend it?
23
24 John Covici