From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] alsa: missing default device
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2014 13:18:24
1 Hello esteemed readers
2
3 After four years in the making, I finally built a new machine. \o/ It's an
4 H97-based board with an ALC892 audio chip. The necessities work, but I'm
5 having problems with the out-of-the-box audio setup. After fixing the card
6 order (analog->HDMI, instead of HDMI->analog) I found another problem:
7 except for KDE, which has its own sound system, all other audio-related
8 programs do not work kcmus, aplay, mplayer, etc). For example:
9
10 $ play some_file
11 ALSA lib /var/tmp/portage/media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.27.2/work/alsa-lib-1.0.27.2/src/pcm/pcm.c:2109:(snd_pcm_open_conf) type is not defined
12 play FAIL formats: can't open output file `default': snd_pcm_open error: No such file or directory
13
14 So I'm missing the "default" device. Sure enough:
15 $ aplay -L
16 null
17 Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
18 sysdefault:CARD=PCH
19 HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog
20 Default Audio Device
21 front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
22 HDA Intel PCH, ALC892 Analog
23 Front speakers
24 [... and some more surround channels plus HDMI]
25
26 It only lists "sysdefault", but not "default". If I do
27 $ speaker-test -Dsysdefault -c2
28 I get the test noise on both speakers. /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf defines both:
29 --------->%---------------
30 # redirect to load-on-demand extended pcm definitions
31 pcm.cards cards.pcm
32
33 pcm.default cards.pcm.default
34 pcm.sysdefault cards.pcm.default
36 But why only one shows up, I am at a loss.
39 Could you help me out here please? What is wrong? How can I better debug it?
40 Thanks.
43 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla’
44 Ich möchte nicht, daß irgendetwas von mir oder über mich auf Facebook landet.
45 Please do not share anything from, with or about me with any Facebook service.
46
47 “If it’s true that our species is alone in the universe, then I’d have to say
48 the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.” – George Carlin