From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: is purchasing a usb blu ray a good idea?
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 03:16:35
1 On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 01:07:48AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
2 > On Mon, 29 Jun 2015 14:37:18 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 > > [1] Despite all steps explained in the blog posts on how to build a
5 > > bootable flash drive based on an ISO image, I've found that for
6 > > everything except systemrescuecd, all I have ever had do is:
7 > >
8 > > dd if=whatever.iso of=/dev/sdd bs=64k
9 >
10 > That's because most distros, and all top quality cover discs, use
11 > hybrid ISO images that avoid the pain associated with the likes
12 > of Unetbootin.
13
14 If you run across one that doesn't work, you do ***NOT*** need to
15 screw around with unetbootin. If not already installed...
16
17 emerge sys-boot/syslinux
18
19 To convert fubar.iso to USB-bootable format, run the command...
20
21 isohybrid fubar.iso
22
23 That's it. No moving files around. dd to your USB key and boot. For
24 documentation on various options like UEFI, etc, check the wiki page at
25
26 http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Isohybrid
29 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
30 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications