From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: IDE/ATAPI ZIP drive - howto
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 01:38:58
1 On 01/04/2010 08:29 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've upgraded the kernel on an old machine to 2.6.32.
5 > Now, I cannot get the ZIP drive (ATAPI) working.
6 >
7 > There is a /dev/hdd device and dmesg is telling me about
8 > an IOMEGA ZIP drive, but
9 > trying to
10 >
11 > fdisk /dev/hdd
12 > or even mount it,
13 > seems to make the kernel hang (at least these commands
14 > never finish)
15
16 Are there any error messages in dmesg?
17
18 I have an old parallel-port ZIP and two 1GB JAZ drives that
19 are gathering dust because I've replaced all three of them
20 with one $15 USB stick, which is far more reliable.
21
22 I wish I had the $800 back that I spent on those Iomega drives
23 plus the required SCSI controller :( I was recently tempted
24 to buy an expensive Blu-Ray toy, but then I remembered those
25 JAZ drives and changed my mind.