From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FYI: Rules for distro-friendly packages
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 21:32:59
1 * Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Some more:
4 >
5 > Don't depend on some arb version number of libs. Nothing worse than being
6 > forced to use some lib 4 versions behind current when current actually works
7 > just fine
8
9 ACK. But most times, that IMHO comes from incompatible API (or ABI)
10 changes. Perhaps I should add some rules about that - libs have to
11 maintain backwards API (or even ABI ?) compatibility, at least within
12 the same major version.
13
14 > No hardcoded locations. If I want to install to /opt/csw/package/, then I
15 > should be able to do it, it makes zero difference to upstream if I do
16
17 ACK. Packages should be (build-time) relocatable, following FHS-style
18 classifications.
19
20 > Maintain the README, NEWS, INSTALL, ChangeLog, etc. We users actually do read
21 > them, and up to date metadata gives us a warm fuzzy where we feel good about
22 > your code
23
24 Well, separate changelog (beside the vcs' log) should only be
25 required for large packages. Better a releas-notes file, stating
26 everthing that's important for upgrades.
29 BTW: meanwhile I've set up an sf.net project w/ maillist:
30 https://sourceforge.net/p/oss-qm/home/
33 cu
34 --
36 Enrico Weigelt, metux IT service -- http://www.metux.de/
37
38 phone: +49 36207 519931 email: weigelt@×××××.de
39 mobile: +49 151 27565287 icq: 210169427 skype: nekrad666
41 Embedded-Linux / Portierung / Opensource-QM / Verteilte Systeme