From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A portage nuisance
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 15:23:39
1 On 27/10/2017 14:52, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I have a problem with emerge for a long time.
4 > Sometimes I need to (re-)emerge many packages like in an
5 > emerge --emptytree @world
6 >
7 > Because I use several overlays, there are problems with a lot of
8 > packages.
9 > Unfortunately, emerge shows me just the first problem (like a missing USE-flags)
10 > and then terminates.
11 > Is there any means to let emerge go and report several (all) problems which
12 > are independent of each other?
13
14 Nothing to my knowledge, no.
15
16 It's that word "independant" that would appear to be the problem. You
17 know that a doc USE flag for a webserver and for a python are completely
18 unrelated, but portage doesn't, so stops after the first failure.
19 Continuing would be pointless as so often flags are not independant,
20 they are very much interdependant. I would also wager that any output
21 from portage if it did continue would be vastly more confusing to users
22 than what it does now.
23
24 The reason you know so much more than portage about these dependencies
25 is that you have a brain and comprehend meaning. Portage has silicon and
26 no clue about meaning of anyything
30 Alan McKinnon
31 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com