From: Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [Very OT] - Kill-A-Watt (240V Version) to measure my Gentoo Server Power Usage
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 10:26:26
1 Hamish Marson wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 > >> Mike Williams wrote:
4 > >>> On Thursday 03 August 2006 19:27, James wrote:
5 > >>>
6 > >>>> The simplist solution is NOBODY puts a 240 VAC power supply
7 > >>>> into a computer unless it's going to draw some serious current
8 > >>>> (amps) thus by the nature of it being 240 VAC, you already know
9 > >>>> it is a power hog.
10 > >>>>
11 > >>> Now, I'm not electrical engineer, but I know my way around a fuse
12 > >>> board and electricity having fitted out both our new offices for
13 > >>> power, network, and some walls.
14 > >>>
15 > >>> In the UK, and most (if not all) of Europe, Africa, and Asia too,
16 > >>> run on about 240 volts, 230 +-10% I think now. Pretty much the
17 > >>> whole world, except the Americas.
18 > >>>
19 > >>>
20 > >> Well, the USA has the same coming in too. We have 220v to 240v
21 > >> coming in but that is split into different legs for the 110v to
22 > >> 120v stuff.
23 > >>
24 >
25 > Unless those two legs are in phase, you're still only getting
26 > 110V-120V AC. IIRC (And it's from 20 years ago I'm working here) it's
27 > not, it's just two legs of the 3 phase generated power. Which means
28 > they're 120 deg out of phase, and so you still only get 110-120V. In
29 > order to get 220-240V, you'd need 3 phase power.
30 >
31 > I suspect you get two 110V lines because of current limitations. Not
32 > to provide you with 220V which you'r enot going to get from just
33 > adding two out of phase lines. (Unless of course the US has wired up
34 > two in-phase separate 110V lines. In which case you can get 220V outof
35 > it, but I seem to remember a lecture in Eng Sci saying it was common
36 > to take 2 of 3 phases to a house in the US & alternate which 2 between
37 > successive houses.
38
39 The two lines are out of phase. Here, big things like air conditioners,
40 stoves, dryers and central heat run off the 220 or 240v wires. Small
41 things like lights, hair dryers, fans and even small window air
42 conditioners run off the 110 or 120v lines. In most places here, 3
43 phase is not available unless you are in a area that has large factories
44 or are in a city. Here the black and white wires are 120v, the red and
45 black wires are 220 or 240v. Also note, you can tell the power company
46 which one you want when you get them to put up your pole. We had 220v
47 for years. When the transformer went out I asked for 240V. With a
48 light load we actually get about 248v or so. When something like the
49 A/C turns on it will drop to about 240v or so. It stays pretty stable
50 after that though. Keep in mind that light bulbs blow faster at the
51 higher voltage. At the same time A/C compressors run a lot more efficient.
52 >
53 > >> If you are using transformers to reduce it from 220v to 110v, that
54 > >> will waste some energy right there. Transformers are not real
55 > >> efficient. If you touch it and it is warm, that is what you are
56 > >> wasting. That will also make whatever you are cooling with work
57 > >> harder too.
58 > >>
59 >
60 > Plus you need twice the current at 110V vs 220V. (Volts are big 'V'
61 > BTW! Named after Voltaire). This means higher line losses as loss is
62 > proportional to current. Higher line losses mean that cable length
63 > becomes more of a problem. (A 10V drop in 240V is less than 5%. 10V
64 > drop in 120V is almost 10%. Much more significant).
65 >
66 > All-in-all I prefer 240V single phase.
67 >
68 > H
69
70 As far as being efficient with power usage, me two. I have a friend
71 that uses some heavy equipment and some of them are 480v. They put out
72 a lot more horsepower but they run very cool because the current draw is
73 so small.
74
75 We here would likely be better off if we did use 220v like other
76 countries but it would take us years to convert things over.
77
78 Dale
79 :-)
80 --