From: Dan Cowsill <danthehat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Clone a running gentoo machine onto another machine
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 21:13:49
1 On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 4:55 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 16:45:49 -0400, Dan Cowsill wrote:
3 >
4 > > Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I had read that if you don't copy
5 > > the files in /dev, udev won't mount properly on the machine you're
6 > > cloning to and all hell will break lose.
7 >
8 > There are two files you need in the dev directory of the root
9 > filesystem, console and null. Create those, or bind mount the root
10 > directory as a;ready suggested.
13 > > Also, iirc, I believe I
14 > > tarred a running machine (including /dev, excluding /sys) and the
15 > > clone was successful.
16 >
17 > There's no reason why it wouldn't be, but you're wasting a bunch of pace
18 > and inodes on your root filesystem by putting a load of stuff in /dev
19 > that is then hidden when udev starts.
22 > --
23 > Neil Bothwick
24 >
25 > Snacktrek, n.:
26 > The peculiar habit, when searching for a snack, of constantly
27 > returning to the refrigerator in hopes that something new will have
28 > materialized.
31 Oooh I see I see. Thanks!
34 Dan Cowsill
35 http://www.danthehat.net