From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo centric VPN
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2018 12:50:02
1 On 9/5/18 8:44 AM, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On 05/09/18 20:15, james wrote:
3 >> So, I need to be able setup and tear down a 4-component network.
4 >> Sometimes all (4) systems will be in the same location, probably about
5 >> 50% of the time.
6 >>
7 >> My (3) personal systems are:
8 >> (1) gentoo laptop (Open RC if that matters)
9 >> (1) window-7 laptop
10 >> (1) Android Cell (galaxy note 9)
11 >>
12 >> These (3) are with me most about 70% of the time, but
13 >> often they will be in different locations hundreds of miles apart.
16 >> (1) The corporate windows workstation/server. (always stationary).
17 >> (4) Total, often just the the (3) systems on this transient net.
20 >> So, my research suggest that WireGuard might be best because most of
21 >> what I'm moving around is a wide variety of image types, as well as
22 >> video and 3D/4D files and binaries for odd-ball embedded devices, of a
23 >> wide variety. Eventually the file movement will be mostly automated
24 >> (scripted). WireGuard purports to have the most bandwidth capabilities
25 >> and some of these file_sets will be in the gigabyte range often.
28 >> I've found lots to read and noodle with, but I'm curious what (gentoo)
29 >> folks would suggest. For starters it cannot use an outsourced VPN;
30 >> that's dictated by others. So a "home-spun VPN" is warranted.
33 >> From others ::
34 >> "But WireGuard being awesome is old news. The new news is that now
35 >> there�s an easy way to integrate it into Android ROMs and kernels. "
39 >> https://opensource.com/article/18/8/open-source-tools-vpn
40 >>
41 >> https://www.wireguard.com/install/
42 >>
43 >> https://github.com/max-moser/network-manager-wireguard
44 >>
45 >> https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/development/wireguard-rom-integration-t3711635
48 >> Those are a few links I found, but I really want a gentoo centric
49 >> method. Others suggests, for custom ROMs, to anything to secure the
50 >> Android phone and get rid of the "crap apps" would be most welcome. If I
51 >> cannot get rid of them I'd like a systematic way to bury those pesky
52 >> Android apps that pedestrian use, down the tree somewhere. I guess what
53 >> I'm trying to say is once I get the (4) devices working, I'll be testing
54 >> a variety of way to setup Android or embedded gentoo on that Android
55 >> Galaxy-9 so I control the stack, it can deeply sniffed, either on the
56 >> internal device or on external ports, via Deep Packet Inspection codes
57 >> on the ports via other microprocessors running embedded gentoo.
58 >>
59 >> Use Gentoo prefix?
60 >>
61 >> An android experimental stack?
62 >>
63 >> I have a second cell phone so I can do whatever I need to with the
64 >> Android Galaxy Note 9. Jtag or other low level hardware programmers are
65 >> of keen interest; mandatory. Perhaps Samsung or another vendor sells the
66 >> hardware programming equipment? 5G bandwidth is definitely front and
67 >> center, when and where it's available, but ignored for now or until
68 >> those phones are available.
71 >> Discussion, ideas and suggestions are most welcome.
74 >> curiously,
75 >> James
76 >>
77 > Have not used wireguard.
78 >
79 > all running over port 443
80 >
81 > openvpn for linux/android
82 >
83 > proxytunnel on windows to stunnel on a linux server for the corporate
84 > network.
85 >
86 > Use the sslh multiplexor to control and switch incoming ssl.
87 >
88 > Unfortunately I have some difficult networks to get out of.� Performance
89 > is ok for gentoo distfile download from my repo, but I have not tried
90 > super large files.
93 > BillK
94
95 Thanks BillK. I'll test this and post-back. I'm going to test a variety
96 of suggestions, with deference to a gentoo-centric solution.
97
98 James