From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] And so the emerge spake: Let there be conflicts...and see, everything was chaos and sin...
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2015 11:46:08
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> [15-04-26 13:36]:
2 > On 26/04/2015 09:57, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi Alan,
4 > >
5 > > thanks for your help! Good to know, that's not totally me not
6 > > understanding, what's going on on my machine...but there are also the
7 > > enigmatic words of Master Emerge, which blows fog into my pain
8 > > suffering brain... ;)))
9 > >
10 > > For me it looked like a typical "blocked" situation and something,
11 > > which needs to be fixxed...
12 > >
13 > > But it only means: Everything is fine but it is not using the newest
14 > > of the valid siftware revisions.
15 > >
16 > > But I am sure it will not take too long until I am again kneeling in
17 > > front of altar of the allmigthy Emerge as a novice trying to decipher
18 > > its holy words....
19 > >
20 > > Until then,..best regards and have a nice Sunday!
23 > I couldn't see from your posted output if emerge can continue or not, or
24 > if these were fatal blockers. Which one was it?
25 >
26 > Either way, it comes down to the same thing: emerge can update
27 > everything to absolutely latest (in your case because of nvidia drivers)
28 > so emerge either offers a second-best scenario, or fails to find
29 > anything that can work and bails.
30 >
31 > The confusing bit is the reams of junk on the screen.
32 >
33 > --
34 > Alan McKinnon
35 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
39 Hi Alan,
40
41 the problem here is, that the naked eye of a novice cant tell a real
42 blocker from a "everything is fine but not of bleeding edge version of
43 software". This needs to be fixed, since Gentoo will always be new to
44 new users. Thats why they are new users. And even the older ones get
45 confused from time to time (me).
46
47 I did the following:
48 Shutdown X and went back to "mother eart": The FB console.
49 Start an update to see what "blocks" what.
50 Emerge -C of all blockers (and remember what I removed.)
51 Repeat the last two steps until no blockers are there.
52 Do a real update.
53 If some of the removed items are not automagically reinstalled:
54 Do it by hand.
55 This way my update is now at the newest version.
56
57 If I can do that...I think emerge should also able of doing
58 this (or at least suggest this to the user).
59
60 "Just remove the blocker and install it later." helped me
61 often.
62
63 Best regards,
64 Meino