From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Orphan e-mail message in kmail
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 05:35:49
1 On Tuesday 24 February 2009 19:18:03 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Greetings,
3 >
4 > After a power failure a few days ago, kmail-1.9.9 now has one message in
5 > one folder that can't be read, viewed, moved or deleted. It's shown at the
6 > top of the list instead of near the bottom, and nothing I can think of will
7 > make any change to it.
8 >
9 > Can anyone suggest a reasonably safe approach to getting rid of it? I don't
10 > mind losing it as long as I don't lose anything else.
11
12 You are probably using maildir for your mail - it's the default. Shut down
13 kmail completely. Go to ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/<folder>/cur, and delete
14 the actual file. grep can help you find it even if only by identifying the
15 files that isn't it.
16
17 Then delete the relevant index files in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail.
18 Your inbox for example is called .inbox.index.* and there will be three of
19 them.
20
21 Restart kmail, it will rebuild it's indexes and all will be well.
22
23 (With KDE-4, change those paths to ~/.kde4/....
24
25 > I suppose I could delete my home directory, create a new one and import
26 > kmail's stuff from the old to the new, together with other applications'
27 > stuff, but I don't know any way to import filters, and anyway it's an awful
28 > fag.
29
30 Don't delete your home dir! kmail keeps it's mail there and you will lose the
31 lot.
32 --
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com