From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Need a new server
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 16:54:01
1 On 17/09/2013 15:11, Grant wrote:
2 >>>>>>> Is the Gentoo Software RAID + LVM guide the best place for RAID
3 >>>>>>> install info if I'm not using LVM and I'll have a hardware RAID
4 >>>>>>> controller?
5 >>>>>>
6 >>>>>> Not ready to take the ZFS plunge? That would greatly reduce the complexity
7 >>>>>> of RAID+LVM, since ZFS best practice is to set your hardware raid controller
8 >>>>>> to JBOD mode and let ZFS take care of the RAID - and no LVM required (ZFS
9 >>>>>> has mucho better tools). That is my next big project for when I switch to my
10 >>>>>> next new server.
11 >>>>>>
12 >>>>>> I'm just hoping I can get comfortable with a process for getting ZFS
13 >>>>>> compiled into the kernel that is workable/tenable for ongoing kernel updates
14 >>>>>> (with minimal fear of breaking things due to a complex/fragile
15 >>>>>> methodology)...
16 >>>>>
17 >>>>> Can't you just emerge zfs-kmod? Or maybe you're trying to do it
18 >>>>> without module support?
19 >>>>
20 >>>> @tanstaafl's kernels have no module support.
21 >>>
22 >>> OK, but why exclude module support?
23 >>
24 >> Noooooooooo, please for the love of god and all that's holy, let's not
25 >> go there again :-)
26 >
27 > Oopsie!
28 >
29 >> taanstafl has his reasons for using fully monolithic kernels without
30 >> module support. This works for him and nothing will dissuade him from
31 >> this strategy - we tried, we really did. He won.
32 >
33 > It must be for security.
36 Essentially, yes. He once explained his position to me nicely - he knows
37 exactly what hardware he has and what he needs, it never changes and he
38 never needs to tweak it on the fly. Once the driver is in the running
39 kernel, it stays there till a reboot. Modules he benefits, but he
40 doesn't need them.
41
42 That was the point I realised I didn't have an answer in his world.
46 Alan McKinnon
47 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com