From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Openoffice being replaced?
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:30:45
1 On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 4:24 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Thursday 28 July 2011 21:48:15 Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>> I have wondered that too.  The process is sort of started but it's not
9 >>> actually compiling either.  I wonder how we could know for sure?
10 >>>
11 >>
12 >> Easy. "emerge --fetchonly<blah>" first, then start the real work.
16 > But if you emerge something and it has to be fetched first, is that counted
17 > in the time genlop shows or not?  That is the question.  I don't think it is
18 > counted but I'm not sure.  I set mine to fetch in the background so most of
19 > the time the fetch is done after a couple packages gets compiled.
20 >
21 > Back when I was on dial-up, then I would fetch first.  I did that because my
22 > dial-up was so slow.  It would take days to download OOo or a major KDE
23 > upgrade.
24
25 I use parallel fetch, so it downloads int he background while it's
26 emerging the first package, but if there's only one package being
27 emerged it has no choice but to wait.