From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 08:31:06
1 On Saturday 28 Sep 2013 01:39:57 David W Noon wrote:
2 > On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 01:10:14 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote about Re:
3 >
4 > [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01:
5 > > On 28/09/2013 00:57, Dale wrote:
6 > > > Bruce Hill wrote:
7 > > >> On Fri, Sep 27, 2013 at 05:33:02PM -0500, Dale wrote:
8 > > >>> I'm hoping that since I use eudev, I don't have to worry about
9 > > >>> this. If I do, this could get interesting, again. Dale
10 > > >>
11 > > >> Do you have /usr separate from / ?
12 > > >
13 > > > Yep. From my understanding tho, eudev is not supposed to be
14 > > > affected by this problem tho.
15 > > >
16 > > > One reason for this being seperate, I have / and /boot on a regular
17 > > > partition and everything else on LVM. Sometimes that /usr gets a
18 > > > bit full. It's not so bad after I moved all the portage stuff out
19 > > > and put it in /var. Now I have to watch /var too. lol
20 > >
21 > > Ask yourself this question:
22 > >
23 > > Why do you have /usr separate?
24 > >
25 > > No really, *why exactly*?
26 >
27 > You write as though you expected the question to be regarded as
28 > rhetorical.
29 >
30 > I can't speak for Dale, but since I have much the same arrangement
31 > (with /boot and / on physical partitions and everything else under LVM2
32 > control) I shall write from my perspective.
33 >
34 > The reason I have /usr separate is so that I can have it striped
35 > without needing an initramfs.
36 >
37 > > One of the very first things you do with /usr at boot time is mount
38 > > it, and from then on you use it exactly as if it were always on /
39 > > anyway.
40 >
41 > No. The I/O characteristics of a striped /usr are rather different from
42 > those of / on a simple partition.
43 >
44 > > I'll bet that since you moved all of portage out, your mount
45 > > options and fs configs are the same between the two anyway.
46 >
47 > Again no. My portage volume has different mount options from /usr, as
48 > it has nosuid and noexec in force. The portage volume is not striped
49 > either, as it does not get as much I/O traffic as /usr.
50
51 Another reason that I have seen mentioned for running /usr separately is to
52 mount it as read only for security reasons. It is a moot point how much this
53 improves security, other than by yourself when you run 'rm -Rf /usr' one day
54 by mistake. ;-)
57 Regards,
58 Mick