From: Laurence Perkins <lperkins@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo chroot with old glibc
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2020 16:29:39
1 On June 30, 2020 1:26:48 AM PDT, "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
2 >> That's what I did: I found a 2017 stage3 with a still older glibc and
3 >> managed to upgrade to a 2020 gentoo while masking the last glibc
4 >> versions. That was tricky because I had to git-checkout intermediate
5 >> versions of the portage tree in order to deal with the EAPI changes
6 >but
7 >> I have a working chroot now. Thanks.
8 >
9 >That's the easy way to do it, yes.
10 >
11 >The hard way is to treat this as a cross-compilation problem and
12 >bootstrap
13 >your own stages from scratch. Instructions would be a bit longer...
16 The medium way to do it is to use portage's ability to install packages to a different root directory. Which still has its caveats and challenges but generally avoids EAPI mismatches.
17
18 LMP