From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Exact setting in grub to default to a kernel by name?
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 20:24:49
1 On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 08:38:50AM -0000, Grant Edwards wrote
2
3 > Note that on this machine I just tell grub to search for the
4 > filesystem with the label "root" instead of specifying it manually --
5 > though it is still specified manually for the kernel argument. I don't
6 > remember why I did that...
7
8 Because specifying it manually doesn't work... ask me how I found out.
9 Partial success... the following gives me a working text mode menu just
10 like the standard grub.cfg.
11
12 ========================================================================
13 set timeout=15
14 insmod vga
15 set gfxmode=640x480
16 set gfxpayload=640x480
17 insmod gfxterm
18 terminal_output gfxterm
19 search --set=root --label rootfs
20 menuentry 'Linux Experimental' {
21 linux /vmlinuz-experimental root=/dev/sda2 ro noexec=on net.ifnames=0 intel_pstate=disable ipv6.disable=1
22 }
23 menuentry 'Linux Experimental Recovery' {
24 linux /vmlinuz-experimental root=/dev/sda2 ro
25 }
26 menuentry 'Linux Production' {
27 linux /vmlinuz-production root=/dev/sda2 ro noexec=on net.ifnames=0 intel_pstate=disable ipv6.disable=1
28 }
29 menuentry 'Linux Production Recovery' {
30 linux /vmlinuz-production root=/dev/sda2 ro
31 }
33
34 Unfortunately, just like the standard grub.cfg, it's a tiny-looking
35 text font on my 1920x1080 monitor that I have to squint at. Next
36 step... what do I do to get a functioning GUI?
39 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
40 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications