From: Roman Zilka <zilka@×××××××.cz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] The definite --complete-graph
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2011 11:01:43
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 the recent hint made around here by Neil Bothwick (thank you, Neil)
4 about --changed-use, which I hadn't been aware of, made me re-read `man
5 portage`. I came across --complete-graph, which is news to me too. The
6 manpage makes it sound like it's something I want, but I fail to get
7 its precise purpose. I tried googling for an answer, but ... well, it's
8 probably still a fresh feature.
9
10 Could anyone please explain its function? I thought the -D in 'emerge
11 -uDN world' was enough to ensure that all world packages and all their
12 runtime deps (recursively) are considered and updated/remerged, if
13 necessary. The manpage suggests that --complete-graph is different in
14 that it doesn't actually pull in update/remerge of deep (i.e., deeper
15 than immediate) deps of world packages. It just checks if any
16 updates/remerges of world packages (plus their immediate deps) causes
17 any conficts deeper in the depgraph. Is that all there is to the
18 difference between --deep and --complete-graph?
19
20 Thanks a lot for clarification.
21 -rz