From: Tom Hendrikx <tom@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 00:11:03
1 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
2 > Hi, Gentoo!
3 >
4 > I've just got a sparkling new installation of Gentoo on my new PC. It
5 > only took me ~5 hours, mainly because I'd already configured the kernel
6 > in a trial run. :-)
7 >
8 > However, I'm now trying to get X up and running. "The X Server
9 > Configuration HOWTO", section 3. "Configuring Xorg" says:
10 >
11 > "Hal comes with many premade device rules, also called policies.
12 > These policy files are available in /usr/....../policy. Just find a
13 > few that suit your needs most closely and copy them to /etc/...."
14 >
15 > "For example, to get a basic working keyboard/mouse combination, you
16 > could copy the following files...
17 > /usr/.........../10-input-policy.fdi
18 > /usr/.........../10-x11-input.fdi"
19 >
20 > Am I the only person that finds this semantic gibberish? Is there
21 > any explanation somewhere of what a "policy" aka "device rule" is? What
22 > is the semantic significance of a "device rule"? What does it mean, to
23 > "rule a device", or what sort of restrictions are being placed on this
24 > device?
25 >
26 > Given that one might desire a "basic working keyboard/mouse
27 > combination", what is the chain of reasoning that ends up selecting the
28 > file called "10-input-policy.fdi" from all the other ones?
29 >
30 > This file is an inpenetrable stanza of uncommented XML. Are its verbs
31 > documented somewhere? What do "<match ...>" and "<append ....>" mean,
32 > for example?
33 >
34 > Can this new-style fragmented XML configuration do anything that a good
35 > old-fashioned, human-readable and compact xorg.conf can't? If so, what?
36 > What am I missing here?
37 >
38 > Please, somebody, tell me all this HAL stuff is straightforwardly
39 > explained in an easily accessible Gentoo document, so that I can hang my
40 > head in shame and apologise for the noise! ;-)
43 First, give xorg a chance to figure it out by itself. Most stuff works
44 here without any HAL tinkering:
45
46 $ ls -l /etc/hal/fdi/policy/
47 total 0
48 $
49
50 Maybe the documentation is a bit too much here, it should probably say
51 that you should start working with the HAL policies when you notice that
52 some things are not working right (and when that happens do something
53 like echo 'keyboard-type missing-feature HAL example' > google)
56 Regards,
57 Tom