From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] blocks to fix
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 22:12:58
1 That might work for some scenerios; however, it wouldn't likely for the recent e2fsprogs-lib/ss/com_err fiasco because the booting system would be unable to execute mount and wait until the user either entered the root password for maintenance mode or pressed "CTRL+D" to continue. (Yep, I hosed one of my systems over that issue!) So the system would not be either in a kernel panic nor able to run /etc/conf.d/local.start. So it wouldn't reboot without user intervention.
2
3 In most cases that would likely work though.
4
5 Ben
9 ----- Original Message ----
10 From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
11 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
12 Sent: Thursday, October 30, 2008 4:44:53 PM
13 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] blocks to fix
14
15 Mark Knecht writes:
16
17 > Having a second install is a reasonable idea. I suppose I can probably
18 > install that remotely but I cannot test it remotely (AFAIK) without
19 > someone handy to choose the right line in the grub menu...
20
21 You can use the grub-set-default command to boot another than the default
22 entry:
23
24 default saved
25 fallback 0
26 ...
27 title System A
28 kernel (hd0,0)/A
29
30 title System B
31 kernel (hd0,1)/B
34 System A is your default system. When you have installed B, activate the 2nd
35 entry with "grub-set-default 1" (grub counts from 0). Put something
36 like "sleep 600 & reboot" into B's /etc/conf.d/local.start that will make
37 it reboot after a while, unless you are able to log in from remote and kill
38 the sleep command.
39 Now reboot. B will be started. Try to log in. If it fails, wait a little,
40 and try again. This time A should be up again.
41
42 Unless you have a kernel panic, and the system is just halted. Does anyone
43 know if there is something one could do about that?
44
45 Wonko