From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Memory cards and deleting files.
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2020 17:09:14
1 Howdy,
2
3 I have a couple deer trail cameras.  They use SDHC cards.  I have
4 several of these.  I was playing with one that hasn't been used in a
5 while and was going to set it up to use for other things.  I put it in
6 my card reader and opened it with Dolphin.  I then right clicked on the
7 directory and chose move to trash.  When it was done, I unmounted it
8 using Device Notifier.  I unplugged the card reader and plugged it back
9 in again.  When I mount it with Device Notifier and opened it with
10 Dolphin, the files were still there.  They didn't delete or move
11 anywhere.  There was no error either. Also, refreshing the tab in
12 Dolphin doesn't work either.  I thought maybe it just cached what was
13 there and wasn't updating so I did a F5 to force it.  Tried it several
14 times actually.  Also, before I unmount the card, it shows the files are
15 deleted.  They just reappear after a unmount and remount again.
16
17 I thought I'd use a little more brute force.  I started the process over
18 again the usual way.  I then went to a Konsole which is logged in as
19 root, I did a rm -rfv for the main directory on the card.  It showed it
20 deleted all the files.  I then did the sync command, to make sure
21 everything was done, and told Device Notifier to unmount it.  I
22 unplugged it and plugged it back up again.  When I mount it and open it
23 with Dolphin, there the files are.  Even as root and not moving to
24 trash, the files don't delete.
25
26 Keep in mind, I can write new files to the little cards.  So I'm pretty
27 sure it is not a write protection problem or a permissions problem.
28 It's just a can't delete or move to trash problem.
29
30 Anyone ever ran into something like this?  When rm -rfv doesn't work,
31 I'm not sure how much more brute force there is short of a hammer.
32
33 Thoughts??
34
35 Dale