From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /home doesn't umount on shutdown
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:44:26
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On the rare occasion when I reboot or shut this laptop down, it
3 > continually and consistently gets stuck on one of the final steps, to
4 > umount /home
5 >
6 > The process never proceeds beyond that point (as /home is always
7 > fsck'ed on next startup). I can't see any logs as syslog has already
8 > been shut down at this point, and it happens whether I shutdown as root
9 > from the console or by using the KDE widget.
10 >
11 > /home here is on LVM
12 >
13 > I could probably debug this easily enough if I could determine how the
14 > shutdown sequence is ordered, or get a verbose output. But sadly, my fu
15 > for such stuff has run out.
16 >
17 > Anyone got pointers on where to start poking around?
18 >
19 > [I'm not looking for solutions, I'm unlikely to get those right off the
20 > bat, just looking for pointers atm]
25 I would do a 'rc single' then use lsof for /home to see what if anything
26 is still going on. I think with openrc, when you go to single user it
27 unmounts about everything, tho this could have changed since it has been
28 a while since I went to single user. Oh, I have had issues going from
29 single user back to default mode. It just doesn't work right. So, be
30 ready to reboot if needed.
31
32 I ran into a weird issue one time a long time ago. It turned out it was
33 the order I had them in fstab. I think I had /usr/portage above /usr so
34 as it went down the file, it was trying to mount /usr/portage then
35 trying to mount /usr. I thought it rather odd, maybe a bug even, but
36 changing the order made it work. Do you maybe have something in a odd
37 order in fstab?
38
39 Well, it's early and I am still half asleep. Hope that helps. Going
40 back to bed. To wet to go hunting this morning, sleeting too. Brrrrrr!
41
42 Dale
43
47 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!