From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 32GB RAM and Swap
Date: Fri, 01 May 2020 20:04:31
1 On Fri, May 1, 2020, 14:50 Raphael MD <raphaxx@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hello!
4 >
5 > Could I turn my Linux swap off.
6 > I have 32 GB of RAM memory, I suppose my system don’t need swap, because
7 > I’vea lot of RAM, is this true?
8 >
9 > Thanks
12 I have 3 desktop machines with 32 GB of memory. In all 3 I still have swap
13 (32 GB, I stopped using the "twice the amount of RAM" rule years ago). I
14 don't think I have ever used one single byte from the swap; it always sits
15 with "0 bytes used" when I check top.
16
17 So I don't think you need the swap; I keep using it in case I need to ever
18 hibernate the machines, bit I never do. Also, it's always on the mechanical
19 disks, so it's dirty cheap.
20
21 Regards.
22 --