From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] About vbox vm kernel config
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 23:58:46
1 On Thu, 2 October 2014, at 4:15 am, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > …
3 > In the past I've lost lots of time doing this: Getting the right
4 > drivers into the kernel build.
5 > ...
6 > I wondered if anyone can offer a `.config' for a very recent kernel or
7 > at least not ancient that they know will build a bootable (in the env
8 > mentinoed above) kernel.
9
10 I usually boot a recent liveCD - e.g. the most recent systemrescuecd - and copy its /proc/config.gz to a textfile.
11
12 With this approach, I don't think I've ever found the result lacking - the only thing you need to worry about is that drivers for your hard-drive controller and filesystem are compiled in statically. LiveCD kernels include driver modules for almost every eventuality, likely every component of your laptop.
13
14 If you look at the current systemrescuecd it has a 3.14.x kernel (using the alternative options in the boot menu), and there are 3.14.x kernels in the portage tree. IMO that's a close enough match to start with.
15
16 Stroller.