From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Can't play audio cds!
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 17:16:58
1 I can't play audio cds. I used to use gnome-cd, but that seems to be
2 gone now, and none of the other CD players will play sound. KsCD will
3 even show the track titles on the CD, but it won't play sound. I
4 checked the log file, but I couldn't find anything. I couldn't mount my
5 CD (in the past this wasn't necessary for audio CDs, but I thought I'd
6 try it anyway), and then I got something in the log. My /dev/cdrom is a
7 link to /dev/hda:
8
9 camille ~ # grep /dev/hda /var/log/messages
10 Oct 6 11:41:41 camille GFS2: Unrecognized block device or mount
11 point /dev/hda
12 Oct 6 11:42:13 camille GFS2: Unrecognized block device or mount
13 point /dev/hda
14 Oct 6 11:42:35 camille GFS2: Unrecognized block device or mount
15 point /dev/hda
16
17 camille ~ # ls -l /dev/hda
18 brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 3, 0 Oct 6 07:06 /dev/hda
19
20 and I am in the cdrom group:
21
22 camille ~ # grep cdrom /etc/group
23 cdrom:x:19:michael,haldaemon
24
25 and the audio group:
26
27 camille ~ # grep audio /etc/group
28 audio:x:18:amy,michael,mythtv
29
30 I rebooted into Windows XP, where the same CD played just fine. Can
31 anyone tell me what's going on with this?