From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo, new computer, still a bit confused
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 18:48:37
1 On 7/23/2011 12:49 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 10:55:11 -0400, Mike Edenfield wrote:
3 >
4 >> I'm actually speaking from experience here: the first thing
5 >> I did on my Inspiron was wipe the HD and install Gentoo,
6 >> only to learn that the wireless card was faulty. And since I
7 >> could not run the standard Windows diagnostics they couldn't
8 >> (wouldn't?) help me.
9 >>
10 >> So I booted the restore CD, put Windows back, and got a new
11 >> NIC within about a week.
12 >
13 > What would you have done if the hard drive had failed?
14 >
15 > I always image the windows disk and then wipe it, but I'm aware that
16 > this is not completely reliable. some failures make restoration
17 > impossible.
18
19 If the hard drive failed to the point that I couldn't
20 restore it to factory defaults I suspect they would have a
21 hard time telling if I was running Windows or not :)