From: "François-Xavier Carton" <fx.carton@×××××.fr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Cannot start xfce from lightdm
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2020 12:35:55
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm installing gentoo on the family computer, and I'm opting for lightdm
4 and xfce (for ease of use for non-experienced users). As per the wiki, I
5 emerged the packages, enabled and started the dbus and xdm services.
6 Lightdm starts fine, but xfce fails to start with the error: "Unable to
7 contact settings server; Unable to connect: connection refused". A few
8 things I tried:
9
10 - starting another DE (dwm) from lightdm: works
11 - starting xfce from startx: works
12 - starting xfce from a running x server (via terminal emulator): works
13 - remerging xorg with "elogind -suid": still the same (for simplicity
14 I'd prefer "suid -elogind" though)
15
16 What I noticed:
17 - the error seems to be dbus-related (from the source code, it seems
18 xfconf_init fails, which in turns calls dbus things); however I double
19 checked that dbus is enabled and started.
20 - when xfce starts successfully (eg. via startx), it starts
21 xfce4-session with dbus-launch (not sure where that happens; I see no
22 mentions of it in startxfce4 nor /etc/xdg/xcfe4/xinitrc), whereas when
23 started from lightdm, xfce4-session is started normally (without
24 dbus-launch)
25
26 I'm not used to graphical login managers, and I'm running out of ideas.
27 Does anyone have some idea of what I could try to get xfce running from
28 lightdm?
29
30 Thanks,
31 -François-Xavier