From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems moving /boot partiton
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 02:24:24
1 On 4/30/06, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > When this was complete I ran grub using the commands
3 >
4 > grub
5 > root (hd0,8)
6 > setup (hd0)
7 > quit
8 >
9 > My understand of the above is that the root (hd0,8) says place the
10 > second part of grub on /dev/sda9 (drive 0, partition 8) while the
11 > second says place the first part of grub in the MRB.
12
13 Looks like you solved your problem, but I think I can briefly explain
14 what the above commands really mean:
15
16 root (hd0,8): In this context, this tells grub that it can find the
17 files required for installation on the first drive, 9th partition.
18 This partition should contain [/boot]/grub/stage1 [/boot]/grub/stage2,
19 [/boot]/grub/grub.conf, and also a stage1_5 for the filesystem.
20
21 setup (hd0): This tells grub to install itself onto the first hard
22 drive. Normally it writes the stage1 file to the MBR, and the
23 stage1_5 to the blocks between the MBR and the start of the first
24 partition. It also records the size of the stage1_5 and the root
25 device (hd0,8) in the MBR.
26
27 This is done so that at boot, the stage1 is loaded by the BIOS and
28 begins executing. That in turn loads the stage1_5 from the known
29 physical location on the disk, and passes control to the stage1_5
30 loader. That in turn looks at the filesystem (since it understands
31 how to read the filesystem) to load the stage2 and grub.conf files.
32 When stage2 is executed, that is when you see the menu appear with the
33 entries from the grub.conf.
34
35 HTH,
36 -Richard