From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 12:06:28
1 On 2013-08-27 7:42 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 27/08/2013 13:36, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> I'm wondering what the best way would be to get something set up for ZFS
4 >> file storage. I have some older servers that I can use, so was leaning
5 >> toward FreeNAS...
6
7 > Mine are HP mini-servers (the cube shaped ones) with 4 SATA bays running
8 > FreeNAS 8.0.something.
9 >
10 > Dunno if you've worked with FreeNAS before, but it's literally a case of
11 > write the image to USB or flash storage and boot off it. Then play.
12 >
13 > You will need to be able to boot off a USB stick, CF card or similar,
14 > FreeNAS uses an entire drive for it's system partition and it's a shame
15 > to waste a whole high-capacity disk just for a 2G system image
16
17 I haven't worked with it before, but this comment of yours means I soon
18 will be - thanks... :)
19
20 So, once I have something up and running and fully configured, it is
21 relatively easy to backup the new/running system image, in case the
22 flash drive ever crashes and burns?
23
24 Thanks Alan, starting to get excited about playing with ZFS.
25
26 How would you rate their docs and support community (for the free version)?
27
28 Thanks again Alan
29
30 Charles