From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : CPU : 22 nm vs 32 nm
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 00:58:07
1 Alecks Gates wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:32 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Michael Mol wrote:
4 >>> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 8:21 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> The point made about producing less heat with the smaller nm sounds
6 >>>> reasonable tho.
7 >>> Less heat with the smaller nm, but only if all other things remain equal!
8 >>>
9 >>> In reality, manufacturers use additional margin within their TDP to
10 >>> improve the product otherwise. Perhaps they increase the clock speed
11 >>> somewhat. Perhaps they increase the amount of on-die cache. Perhaps
12 >>> they reduce the instruction pipeline.
13 >>>
14 >>> AMD, for example, has tended to maintain keep something in the market
15 >>> for a 125W, 95W and 65W TDPs for several years. Each year, the
16 >>> functionality that used to be in a 125W TDP processor shows up in a
17 >>> 95W TDP processor, and the latest 125W TDP processor beats the pants
18 >>> off of last years'.
19 >>>
20 >>
21 >> I found this to be plain weird when I built my new rig. My old rig was
22 >> a AMD 2500+ single core system with 2Gbs of ram. It pulled about 400
23 >> watts or so for normal desktop use. A little more when compiling and
24 >> such. My new rig, AMD Phenom II 955 with four cores and 16Gbs of ram.
25 >> Heck, just a single core is much faster than my old rig. Thing is, the
26 >> new rig pulls less than half of what the old one pulls, WHILE
27 >> COMPILING. I can't recall the nm part but I think the CPU I got for my
28 >> old rig was supposed to be for laptop use.
29 >>
30 >> AMD sure is getting more efficient as you point out. I still wonder
31 >> where we will be in 10 years. Just how fast can they make them?
32 >>
33 >> Dale
34 >>
35 >> :-) :-)
36 >>
37 >> --
38 >> I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
41 > Definitely OT but that's surely not because of the CPU, or at least
42 > not only the CPU. Many people highly underestimate the value of a
43 > good and efficient power supply, which can make a huge difference.
44 > This is one of those things that companies such as Dell like to cut
45 > costs on because the average user neither sees the PSU specifications
46 > nor knows enough to ask about it. Of course, efficiency within the
47 > entire computer helps, but a bad power supply can really hurt your
48 > electric bill.
49 >
50 > On topic, AMD is definitely getting more efficient but mostly because
51 > that's where the technology is headed in general -- Intel seems to do
52 > a better job at efficiency per core but they also use hyper threading,
53 > whereas AMD is putting their bets into more physical cores. Yes, I'm
54 > going to say it again, but AMD is what you want for multitasking.
55 > They are switching their goals from high-performance cores to
56 > highly-concurrent CPUs, GPUs, and APUs.
57 >
58 > Concurrency is the future, it's just hard for a lot of people to think
59 > in such a way (and our technology doesn't leverage it to its full
60 > capacity). Just look at the human brain: "a maximum of 1,000 nerve
61 > impulses per second is possible. However, firing rates of 1 per second
62 > to 300-400 per second are more typical."[1] Basically the average
63 > neuron seems to be about only 300Hz, but there are trillions upon
64 > trillions of synapses within the brain. I don't know about you, but I
65 > am, allegedly, a fully-functioning, self-aware, intelligent being.
66 >
67 > [1] http://www.noteaccess.com/APPROACHES/ArtEd/ChildDev/1cNeurons.htm
72 It may not be JUST the CPU but the CPU is a big part of it. I might
73 add, I moved one hard drive from the old system to the new one. The
74 ones in my new rig that were new are about the same power wise, same
75 brand too. I actually have the same number of drives in my new rig as
76 was in my old rig. So that balances out. I might also add I have 16Gbs
77 of ram in my new rig but only 2Gbs of ram in the old one so that doesn't
78 fit either. As to the power supply, I build my own rig and I always
79 pick a good power supply that is efficient. The power supply is larger
80 in my new rig. I was thinking that the new rig would pull a bit more
81 power so I actually got a power supply that is really a little bit to
82 big. If anything, that would be a negative on my new rig not a
83 positive. The mobo is the only thing different other than the CPU
84 itself. Oh, let's not forget that my new case has those large 230mm
85 fans. Three of them to be exact. I wouldn't be surprised if they pull
86 about the same power tho. The CPU fan is larger on my new CPU tho. It
87 may pull a small amount more but not enough to really worry about much.
88 My video card is faster in the new rig too.
89
90 So, all in all, one would expect the new rig to pull more power not
91 less. It is a more powerful machine compared to my old rig. I did some
92 math, my new rig is overall 7 times faster than my old rig. I plan to
93 upgrade to a newer, faster CPU with more cores when prices come down a
94 bit more.
95
96 Dale
97
99
100 P.S. I don't have a store bought system. I build mine from scratch.
101 While I would recommend Dell to someone who can't build their own, I
102 wouldn't buy one myself.
105 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!