From: Ian Clowes <clowes_ian@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions? Network monitoring scripts
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 22:04:28
1 fire-eyes wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm looking for suggestions on software which could do the following 1)
4 > if our primary gateway goes down, do nothing 2) if it does go down,
5 > change the default gateway to line B 3) when the primary comes back, set
6 > the gateway back to B. I have two physical interfaces and one alias.
7
8 Hi again
9
10 I did something similar on a RedHat system with modems hooked up to
11 different telcos and ISPs some years ago. I no longer have the scripts
12 to hand, but they were similar in consept to the example posted to this
13 list under the thread 'Load Balancing / Redundant Network ?' today.
14
15 I think I just set the default route off of the box, which in my case
16 brought up the second PPP connection. I had one script constantly
17 checking the status of the primary PPP line and one checking the status
18 of the active line.
19
20 The primary monitor would test the line every five minutes and switch
21 to/from the secondary as necessary. There were some rules to not switch
22 every five minutes in case the primary line was having a bout of
23 intermittent problems. I think I left the secondary up for at least 30
24 minutes if ever it was switched to.
25
26 The active monitor reported loss of the currently active line and what
27 it was doing about it, especially if it was the secondard i/f and the
28 primary was still flagged as failing.
29
30 Is that the sort of thing you're looking for or do you need a 'proper'
31 package?
32
33 IanC
34 --