From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new machine : start-up time
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 20:42:07
1 On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > Regulars will remember the threads re the machine I built recently.
3 > I thought they mb interested in the start-up time now all is working :
4 > Gigabyte BIOS 10 s , Linux Lilo prompt - login prompt 8 s ,
5 > 'startx' - GUI ready 4 s : total 22 s + entering userid+password ;
6 > I start the I/net connection (Dhcpcd) manually from the GUI ( 15 s ).
7 > I assume most of the speed is attributable to the SSD,
8 > perhaps a bit to the 1600 MHz memory; of course, Gentoo shares the honors;
9 > my desktop manager is Fluxbox & I start apps on desktops manually.
10
11 Toshiba Portégé Z830, with an iCore 5 at 1.60GHz, 6 GB of memory, and
12 a tiny 128 GB SSD. It takes 12 seconds from GRUB to GDM, and from the
13 time I enter my password and my GNOME 3 desktop is ready it takes
14 another 6 seconds, so 18 seconds in total (plus how much it takes for
15 me to click in my user and enter my password).
16
17 Like you, I attribute most of the speed gain to the SSD. The rest is systemd.
18
19 Regards.
20 --
21 Canek Peláez Valdés