From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: has anyone tried KDE5?
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2014 17:11:05
1 On 05/10/2014 18:59, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 >> My real beef is with akonadi and kdepim. I could never get the damn
3 >> > thing to actually work or to tell me what it was doing in a manner I
4 >> > could understand. The last straw was around KDE-4.4 when the importer
5 >> > managed to destroy my entire mail store and leave me with nothing, so I
6 >> > switched to claws and several years later switched again to Thunderbird.
7 > or even better: akonadi eating 10 years and 100 000+ archived emails.
8 > But the gains were there - search became slower, if it worked at all and
9 > all filters broke - several times.
12 Ever notice how no other pim-like application feels the need to store
13 everything in mysql or similar? The fact that so many pim-like apps
14 actually do work should count for something
18 >> >
19 >> > I keep reading reports that kdepim is nowadays so much better and
20 >> > stable, but to be frank I do not trust it, and likely never will. I also
21 >> > understand this is not entirely logical, but it's just the way it is.
22 > as long as akonadi with its idiotic database backend is around, it will
23 > never be trustworthy.
24 >> >
25 >> > The rest of KDE I find to be very usable and rather pleasant to use. My
26 >> > sole remaining gripe is lack of stored sessions in dolphin :-)
27 >> >
28 > My favorite fuckups which are still around:
29 > tumblr can make konqueror hang at 100% cpu for minutes, because of some
30 > javascript - firefox and chromium are fine and dlisted in one tab is
31 > fine, but open one of their articles in a new tab and konqueror just
32 > vanishes. Not even the crash dialog pops up.
33
34 I haven't used konqueror as a browser in many many months, I get along
35 just fine with firefox and chromium. I believe konqueror is essentially
36 unmaintained these days or at least on life support. Make a fine file
37 manager though (kparts has always been one of KDE's very much better ideas)
43 Alan McKinnon
44 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com