From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do you block outbound ports?
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 22:43:16
1 On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 12:38 PM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I like the policy of blocking all ports in and out with a firewall and
3 > only opening the ones you need.  Bittorrent makes that difficult since
4 > it connects out to unpredictable ports.  Do you block outbound ports
5 > with a firewall or only inbound?
6
7 I don't block anything outbound, but my ISP does (mostly MS-stuff that
8 I don't care about). I do, however, occasionally block all outgoing
9 just to see what the logs show, so I'm aware of what's happening. But
10 I don't actively monitor that outbound traffic.
11
12 I block everything inbound and only open what's specifically needed. I
13 use denyhosts and fail2ban to block bad guys from all ports.