From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] how to control portage space usage
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:09:37
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Tero Grundstrm [mailto:tero@××××××××××××.fi]
3 > Sent: 08 August 2005 11:21
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] how to control portage space usage
6 >
7 > On Mon, 8 Aug 2005, Michael Kintzios wrote:
8 >
9 > >> -----Original Message-----
10 > >> From: Tero Grundstrm [mailto:tero@××××××××××××.fi]
11 > >> Sent: 08 August 2005 08:46
12 > >> To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
13 > >> Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to control portage space usage
14 > >>
15 [snip]
16 > > You could have a separate /usr or /usr/portage partition so
17 > that when/if
18 > > it runs out of space, your system continues to run despite
19 > the emerge
20 > > coming to a halt.
21 >
22 > I don't don't know if this is very practical, atleast without
23 > a volume
24 > manager.
25 >
26 > Besides, isn't this taken care of by the filesystem already?
27 > I know that
28 > ext2/3 preserve a persentage of the partition size for root
29 > especially for
30 > these cases.
31
32 Well, it has been practical enough for *my* needs. For a while I was
33 running Gentoo on a small partition and having run aground on a couple
34 of cases with a seized system during some mammoth emerge, I decided to
35 set up a separate /usr partition. Thereafter, I was able to recover
36 future incidents without having to boot the LiveCD. As you say, if
37 someone is going to alter partition sizes often then LVM is the way to
38 go. On the other hand if you have a good idea on how big your
39 /usr/portage is or needs to be then my suggestion is a simple enough
40 solution.
41 --
42 Regards,
43 Mick