From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [~and64] Headsup for google-chrome users
Date: Fri, 22 May 2015 22:20:12
1 On 05/22/2015 02:38 PM, Tom H wrote:
2 > On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 5:13 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 05/22/2015 06:32 AM, Mick wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> Did you also enable CONFIG_MEMCG & MEMCG_KMEM in your kernel?
6 >>
7 >> When I use the search function in "make menuconfig" I don't see any mention
8 >> of MEMCG, so I suspect that particular config item must be enabled by some
9 >> other config option that I didn't enable (though I don't remember making
10 >> that decision one way or the other).
11 >>
12 >> I'm running gentoo-sources-3.14.42.
13 >
14 > You must've mistype your search:
15 >
16 > $ grep MEMCG init/Kconfig
17 > config MEMCG
18 > config MEMCG_SWAP
19 > depends on MEMCG && SWAP
20 > config MEMCG_SWAP_ENABLED
21 > depends on MEMCG_SWAP
22 > config MEMCG_KMEM
23 > depends on MEMCG
24 > recommended that the MEMCG and MEMCG_KMEM options also be
25 >
26 > The above was from 4.1.0-rc4 but AFAIK it's existed for 2 or 3 years
27 > so you should have it in 3.14.
28
29 Yes, I agree that MEMCG has been in the kernel source code for years.
30
31 I want to emphasize (for any future googlers) that the selection (or
32 de-selection) of kernel config options can change what you can find
33 or can't find when configuring kernel options in "make menuconfig".
34
35 This is important, and I want to drill this concept home in your
36 (collective) brains. Configuring the linux kernel is *not* simple.
37
38 The kernel devs have been struggling with this idea for years, and
39 I am certainly no smarter than they are.
40
41 Please, just understand that the kernel config scripts are fallible,
42 just like the people who write them.