From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Again: Critical bugs considered invalid
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 13:47:54
1 * Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 Hi,
4
5 > Imo, provide as much information as possible, describe all
6 > paths of logic, dont assume bugwranglers are psychic. Verbosity
7 > can be your friend.
8
9 I understand that often there's more information need. But isn't
10 this exactly what the NEEDINFO status is for ?
11
12 If, for example, my mozilla-launcher bug would have been marked
13 as NEEDINFO, it would have been totally clear that I just have to
14 tell a little bit more about my problem.
15
16 But this wasn't the case. The bug was simply marked as invalid.
17 So the message is: "not an Gentoo problem - your fault".
18
19 I have the strange feeling, certain wranglers see b.g.o as an
20 helpdesk system, not an place for reporting and discussing about
21 problems.
22
23 > I'm still at a loss why theres any need for symlinks to the
24 > coda FS when you could just tell firefox to build a profile
25 > /directly/ on that coda-fs.
26
27 a) The profile *is* on Coda. Problem #1: Coda's permission handling
28 is different than in traditional Unix. ls -la may not show not
29 that username/uid the mozilla-launcher scripts expects to see.
30 Looking on owner-uid and mode simply isn't an reliable source
31 on ACLs. This is not really Coda specific.
32
33 b) I'm using the symlinks to get temporary data out of the Coda,
34 back to the local disk. Simply for reducnig traffic + latencies.
35 Also not Coda specific, but generally for network filesystems.
36 Of course it would be easier, if FF simply wouldn't store
37 temporary stuff within the profile, but where it belongs ($TMP).
38 But symlinks for good for all Mozilla apps.
39
40 > If you can't on your own convince a dev to change a bugs status,
41 > find other people with similar problems to increase the validity
42 > of your claim.
43
44 I won't more time on that issue. It's fixed for me.
45
46 BTW: if the devs would come to the conclusion that they don't have
47 and good solution or don't feed the need to fix it in reasonable
48 time, why isn't the bug status "LATER" or "WONTFIX" ?
49
50 <snip>
51
52 > Just look in -dev for your daily dose of flame war/soap opera. ( if
53 > your going to have a 100+ message flamewar that started from somebody
54 > complaining and missunderstanding an 'inside' joke, it looks kinda
55 > evident that some devs love arguing for the sake of it... so with that
56 > in mind, play safe, be nice :) )
57
58 Well, I'm involved in many projects, subscribed in uncountable maillists.
59 I never ever seen such an high flamewar level as @g.o. And I can't
60 remember on any personal attacks nor arguments like doing sth some way
61 just to be different.
62
63 > In favour of what Enrico did, although for all the world it seems like
64 > he fought a bit and went against advice, he found a problem, and
65 > provided the means for a solution, and placed it in bugzilla.
66
67 > Despite it being marked invalid, that bug will remain in there for
68 > the rest of the natural life of bugzilla, and if anyone else out
69 > there /does/ have the misfortune of having the same problem later,
70 > they'll find it
71
72 Since I learned what's going on @bgo, that's the only reason why I
73 post there. Just for the records, so other people can find it there.
74 I'd never ever expect the devs to take up any bit.
75
76 My idealism from the first days is all lost. Obviously none of my
77 help is ever wanted, so I go my own way and leave them alone.
78 I continue maintaining my own overlay and regularily announcing
79 it via press releases, etc.
82 cu
83 --
85 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
87 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
88 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
89 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
90 http://patches.metux.de/
92 --
93 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list