From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: neil@××××××××××.uk
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 21:43:07
1 On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 08:51:23 +0100
2 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3
4 > On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:47:06 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >
6 > > > Why not post the details of it? All an initramfs is is an init
7 > > > script and a few binaries. Extract the init script, the initramfs
8 > > > file is a plain cpio archive, and post it here.
9 > >
10 > > I did post it a week or so ago in another thread.
11 >
12 > The init script? I didn't see it, which thread?
13 >
14 > > Yea, I know all that. They are breaking one thing to fix something
15 > > else so that they don't have to deal with fixing what they broke.
16 > > I got that a long time ago. ;-)
17 >
18 > I'm coming round to the point of view that the breakage predates udev
19 > by many years. The whole idea of having four directories for binaries
20 > and two for libraries is an inelegance that I have come to accept
21 > over the years but only because it is "the way we have always done it"
22
23 four and two? You're the lucky one.
24
25 I have six and three minimally on every server, plus however many the
26 proprietary fellows felt like sticking in /opt....
30 Alan McKinnnon
31 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com